Joint Degree: BS CEP + MURP

Joint Degree: BS CEP + MURP

Joint Degree: BS Community & Environmental Planning and Master's in Urban and Regional Planning

What is a joint degree program?

A joint degree program (or Combined Advanced Degree Program) creates a pathway for undergraduate students to begin taking graduate courses as part of the undergraduate major and then seamlessly transition into a master’s program upon graduation.  The student enrolls in graduate planning courses while an undergraduate student, and these graduate courses double count for both the undergraduate degree and the master’s degree.  The result is a shortened time to completion of the graduate degree and significant savings in paying graduate tuition. 

In the joint degree program between the BS in Community and Environmental Planning and the MS in Urban and Regional Planning, the undergraduate student takes 4 graduate courses (12 s.h.) during their junior and senior years.  With careful selection of courses in the graduate program and attending summer sessions, a student in the joint program can complete the masters in just one additional year of study after receiving the undergraduate degree.  So, a student that completes the joint program can leave Rowan University with both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in just 5 years.

More information about Combined Advanced Degree Program admissions can be found here.

Why would I want to do this?

There are a variety of reasons to participate in a joint degree program, not the least of which is the substantial savings in both time and money.  Students pay the undergraduate tuition rate for graduate courses taken while an undergraduate.  When those students enter the graduate program, they do so with 12 s.h. already completed.  The result is that the time spent in graduate school is shortened considerably.  While Rowan’s undergraduate program in Community and Environmental Planning offers excellent preparation for a range of planning (and planning related) jobs, an advanced Master’s degree can both make a student more competitive in the marketplace and expand vocational opportunities within the planning discipline. Many traditional planning positions in the public and private sector require advanced academic training and encourage successful completion of the field’s professional certification (AICP).  A completed graduate degree in planning reduces the number of years of professional experience needed to take the AICP exam.  (By the way, the Bureau also notes that careers in planning are growing “much faster than average” and the median pay in the U.S. is $74,350.)

Our students often find work in government planning offices, non-profit organizations, engineering firms, and advocacy organizations. Some of our students choose jobs that directly serve the public interest, while others seek out environmental justice positions. Finally, even if you decide not to enroll in the graduate program upon completion of your undergraduate degree, you will still be able to list on your resume that you have successfully completed graduate coursework.

What are the admissions criteria?

Students are eligible for admission if they meet the following requirements:

  • Declared major in Community and Environmental Planning
  • Sophomore status (60 or more credits earned)
  • Minimum 3.3 GPA in undergraduate coursework
  • Minimum grade of B in all Community and Environmental Planning courses

To be admitted to the accelerated program, students must submit to the Department Chairperson the following materials no later than 1 November of the fall semester of the student’s junior year:

  • An unofficial academic transcript
  • 2 letters of recommendation from Rowan University faculty
  • A statement of purpose (300 – 500 words) that outlines the student’s educational and career goals. 

A full guide for this 4+1 program can be found here.

How do I get more information?

Contact the chairperson of the Department of Geography, Planning, and Sustainability at (856) 256-4231 or  Interested students can also ask any instructor in the Department of Geography, Planning & Sustainability for additional information.